Friday, March 13, 2009

An addendum to "Hilarious"

The minute I hit 'post,' I knew I would remember lots more funny things. And I did. A few need recognition:
1. The time that Leslie, Jeanette, Jana and I went geo-caching at the Boise mall when Jana was a few days from giving birth to my first grandson. Never mind that we're acting like Nancy Drew wannabes searching for some invisible prize, crawling around behind shrubbery, looking into the potted plants in the mall itself (yes, we found it). What was hilarious was when Jana had to go to the bathroom. HAD to go. And was laughing. And was outside the mall. No, she didn't do that!! She just ran (as only a 9 month pregnant woman can) into Sears, demanded that the nearest clerk tell her where a bathroom was and then gave him a withering stare when he whispered, "Upstairs." We were right behind her and the man was literally trembling. She made it!
2. The Pam and Jana Detective Agency. Our most famous case (infamous--that means more than famous, Three Amigos quote) was tracking down an elusive painter on his lunch hour in the Collister area. We staked out one poor house for an hour whose workers had taken some time off, only to not recognize our painter when they came back. We went into a nursing home to ask directions (? to what? we didn't have an address) and somehow cleverly found the person, who married Jana anyway even though she and her mother are dorks.
3. Cody driving backwards in the middle of Missouri or some nearby state while we were looking for Amish people. "It can't be over there--I see power lines." Sam, you missed that trip. Another reason to be thankful for your mission.

3 comments:

Jana said...

1. You forgot that I yelled "I hate you!" to the poor Sears employee as I ran to the stairs. And the reason I was laughing so hard was that you decided to do the 'grapevine' step as we tried to navigate out of the bushes.

2. The north end is SO confusing! There were like three different 36th streets. And we used the phone at the nursing home to call Chuck and ask sneaky questions to find out more about the house he was painting - "Hi Chuck! So, how's painting? What color are you painting the house? Are there any recognizable landmarks near this house?"

3. That was a great trip; I still can't believe we all got along so well as we drove for hours and hours. I do remember that out loud reading of Harry Potter and Good Charlotte's first CD were the only things we could agree on listening to though!

Leslie said...

Jana's right, the "I hate you!" is key, and definately explains his trembling. ;) I hadn't heard the Amish story. What a hoot!

Sam and Terri said...

ok how come I am just finding out you had a blog right now?
I would like to be a detective in your group as well. You guys taking applications? I think I am kind of qualified. I found your blog by stalking Jana's comments. That good enough?